Please review the following information before proceeding to the application.
- Experience an amazing 5-week service-learning trip to Nairobi, Kenya
- Dates (choose one): June 5, 2019 to July 5, 2019 OR July 5, 2019 to August 6, 2019 (Currently FULL) – dates subject to change +/- 2 days
- Notable excursions: Maasai Mara National Wildlife Reserve, Mount Kenya, The Great Rift Valley, Mombasa
The CHI Summer Abroad program is open to all Sonoma and Napa County high school students with an interest in studying abroad. Note: Current eighth grade students who will be incoming freshman at the start of the program, and seniors who will be graduating by the start of the program ARE ELIGIBLE to apply.
1. SUBMIT AN ONLINE APPLICATION ON OR BEFORE THURSDAY, JANUARY 31, 2019, 11:59 PM (PACIFIC TIME).
- Be sure that you are ready to complete your application and pay the necessary deposit (if applicable) as you will not be able to save your application
2. UPLOAD OR EMAIL SUPPORTING MATERIALS IN PDF FORMAT
- 300-500 word essay focusing on why you would like to participate in CHI Summer Abroad and include details about what you hope to get out of your experience (must be submitted at time of application)
- Financial need-based scholarship applicants ONLY - Copy of your parents’ most recent tax return or copy of your parents’ pay stubs for the past two months
- Merit-based scholarship applicants ONLY - current high school transcript, non-official is acceptable (must have at least 3.0 to qualify)
- If applying for a scholarship - provide a clear explanation of why you deserve a scholarship (please address this in your essay or in the additional comment section of the application) AND provide a letter of recommendation from a school official (teacher, counselor, principal, etc.)
3. PAY A $250 DEPOSIT (APPLIES ONLY TO NON-FINANCIAL NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS)
- A $250 deposit (payable by credit or debit card only) is required at the time of application and will be applied toward the program fee. The $250 deposit will be waived if you are applying for a financial need-based scholarship. The deposit will be refunded if you are not accepted in the program.
For the 2019 CHI Summer Abroad Program, the fee for non-scholarship recipients is $5,400.
Please note - CHI supports students with their fundraising needs in many ways. We have a dedicated staff member to assist with setting up an online fundraising page through our website; and we offer numerous opportunities to raise funds. For example, CHI hosts its annual Spring Benefit Concert every year in May to benefit program participants. Participants will play active leadership roles in organizing this event. In return, all ticket sale proceeds will go directly toward defraying the student's’ program fees.
The following items are included in the program fee:
- Roundtrip airfare – to and from San Francisco International Airport and Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi
- Student housing
- Three meals a day
- On-site lectures and project participation
- Excursions and other field trips
- Medical and other insurance
- 24/7 program support