APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2017 CHI SUMMER ABROAD PROGRAM WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM FRIDAY, DECEMBER 2, 2016, 12 NOON (PACIFIC TIME) THROUGH FRIDAY, JANUARY 27, 2017, 12 NOON (PACIFIC TIME).
The CHI Summer Abroad program is open to all Sonoma County high school students with an interest in studying abroad who have completed at least one year of high school by the start of the program and have at least a 2.0 GPA. You are also required to obtain all necessary travel documentation (i.e., passport, visa, vaccination record, etc).
Note: Seniors who will be graduating by the start of the program ARE ELIGIBLE.
Applications are reviewed by the CHI Summer Abroad Selection Committee to verify completeness and eligibility. Applications will be reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis. If more qualified applicants apply than there is room for, CHI will place applicants on a wait list in the order in which applications are received. CHI reserves the right to void the admission of any student who is found not to meet the above requirements after being admitted.
1. SUBMIT AN ONLINE APPLICATION. APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2017 CHI SUMMER ABROAD PROGRAM WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM FRIDAY, DECEMBER 2, 2016, 12 NOON (PACIFIC TIME) THROUGH FRIDAY, JANUARY 27, 2017, 12 NOON (PACIFIC TIME).
Be sure that you have gathered all of the following before you begin as you will not be able to save your application:
- Basic biographical and contact information
- Emergency contact information
- Agreement to terms and review of program policies
2. UPLOAD SUPPORTING MATERIALS IN PDF FORMAT
- 300-500 word essay focusing on why you would like to participate in CHI Summer Abroad and include details about what you hope to get out of your experience
- Letter of recommendation from a school official (teacher, counselor, principal, etc.) (Can be emailed separately)
3. IF APPLYING FOR A FINANCIAL NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIP YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO UPLOAD THE FOLLOWING:
- Copy of your parents’ most recent tax return (2015, or 2016 if already filed) (Can be emailed separately); or Copy of your parents’ pay stubs for the past two months (Can be emailed separately)
- A clear explanation of why you deserve a scholarship (please address this in your essay or in the additional comment section of the application)
4. IF APPLYING FOR A MERIT-BASED SCHOLARSHIP YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO UPLOAD THE FOLLOWING:
- Current high school transcript, non-official is acceptable (Can be emailed separately)
5. PAY A $250 DEPOSIT (APPLIES ONLY TO NON-FINANCIAL NEED-BASED SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS)
- A $250 deposit (payable by credit or debit card only) is required at the time of application and will be applied toward the program fee. The $250 deposit will be waived if you are applying for a financial need-based scholarship. The deposit will be refunded if you are not accepted in the program.
For the 2017 CHI Summer Abroad Program, the fee for non-scholarship recipients is $5,400.
Please note - CHI supports students with fundraising through our empowered.org site; and offers numerous opportunities to raise funds. For example, CHI hosts its annual Spring Concert on May 20th, 2017 to benefit program participants. Participants will play active leadership roles in organizing this event. In return, all ticket sale proceeds will go directly toward defraying the student's’ program fees.
The following items are included in the program fee:
- Roundtrip airfare – to and from San Francisco International Airport and Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi
- Student housing
- Three meals a day
- On-site lectures and project participation
- Excursions and other field trips
- Medical and other insurance
- 24/7 program support
Please note that the following items are excluded from the program fee:
- Personal expenses (souvenirs, toiletries, etc.)
- Additional meals outside of the provided meals
- Passport and visa fees