Passports & Visas


If you don't already have one, you should apply for a passport immediately. You should plan on at least six weeks for standard processing.

U.S. and non-U.S. citizens need a passport both to enter other countries and to return to the United States. If you already have a passport, make sure it is valid until at least six months after your return date. New U.S. passports take six to eight weeks for processing, depending on the time of the year. Passports are valid for ten years. Apply early to avoid complications caused by misplaced original birth certificates and similar problems.

Passport forms are available at many federal and state courts, probate courts, some county/municipal offices and some post offices. They can also be downloaded at the U.S. Department of State website. This site will also link you to the procedures and the form for renewing your passport. This can take just as long as applying for a new passport.

For complete information about passport services, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

For first-time applicants age 16 and older, a ten-year passport is $135 and includes a passport application fee ($110) and an execution fee ($25).

With your completed application, you must also have the following:

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship (i.e., certified birth certificate)
  • Proof of identity (i.e., a valid driver's license)
  • One photograph (2 inches x 2 inches with white background)
  • $135 payment
  • Your social security number

You must submit your application to a post office. Do NOT send your application by mail.

Passport photos can be obtained at numerous local shops including UPS Stores and Costco.

In addition to the regular application fees, expedited service costs $60 per application plus overnight delivery costs. You can pick up your passport the next day or receive it through priority mail (3-5 business days). Normally, if you do not appear in person, you will receive your passport within two to three weeks through the expedited service. The office address for the Agency is:

If you need more detailed information, review the back of your passport application. If you still have questions or need to renew your current passport, please contact a post office.

Once you have your passport, be sure to sign it and fill in the emergency information page. Take extra photos abroad in case you lose your passport and need to have it replaced quickly.


A visa is an entry/residency permit and official permission granted by the authorities of the countries where you will study or travel which allows you to enter and remain in that country. The visa itself is frequently a stamp in your passport, not a separate document. You will need a passport before applying for a visa. 

You may be denied entry into, or be deported from, Kenya if you have not obtained a required visa. CHI is not responsible for obtaining visas, nor are they in any way responsible for visa or entry denial.

Please visit Kenya's evisa website for more information.

NOTE: If you are not a U.S. citizen, you should consult the embassy or consulate of Kenya to learn their document requirements. 

The procedures that you will follow may be different than those for U.S. citizens. It is important to initiate this process as soon as possible in order to assemble documents and allow time for lengthy procedures


Other Helpful Pages/Resources: